District 8 News from California, Hawaii and Nevada

President Obama Announces NATA/NFL/PFATS Collaboration

obamaThe National Athletic Trainers’ Association, in collaboration with the Professional Football Athletic Trainers’ Society, will support a national initiative to place athletic trainers (ATs) in underserved high schools in NFL markets during the 2014 football season. The National Football League Foundation and NFL teams will provide $1 million, with the NATA adding another $125,000, to improve the health and welfare of those student athletes. The announcement was made during the White House Healthy Kids and Concussion Summit in Washington, DC, this morning.

“Today is a landmark day for the National Athletic Trainers’ Association,” said NATA President Jim Thornton, MA, ATC, CES. “We are pleased with the NFL Foundation and NFL Clubs’ contribution and are excited to move forward in collaboration with the Professional Football Athletic Trainers’ Society to implement this program, which will make a significant impact on thousands of young athletes. NATA is committed to educating and empowering parents and others on improved youth sports safety measures.”

Currently only 55 percent of high school student athletes have access to a full-time athletic trainer. This initiative aims to reach the other 45 percent of players by funding ATs to provide health care during games and/or practices, with the ultimate goal of keeping these young athletes in the game, rather than on the sidelines dealing with chronic, catastrophic or fatal conditions. These conditions can be largely prevented, managed and treated if the right protocols are in place, and  if properly trained medical personnel – including athletic trainers – are available to provide education and prevention strategies and to offer immediate care, should an injury occur.

Read more here…



Courtesy of the NATA

Comments are closed

Far West Athletic Trainers Association