2020 Annual Meeting & Clinical Symposium
Aloha FWATA members!
I hope everyone is staying safe as we continue to adjust to the new normal of social distancing with the COVID-19 pandemic. As announced a few weeks ago, the FWATA Managing Board and AMCS Committee have been monitoring the rapidly changing situation and we were hopeful that our Annual Meeting and Clinical Symposium scheduled for July 14-18, 2020 in Kona, Hawaii would continue as planned. After long discussions and deliberation among the Managing Board and the Annual Meeting Convention Committee, and in consultation with the resort property management, we have decided to cancel this year’s FWATA meeting. It is truly a difficult decision that broke our hearts, but we feel we are making the best decision with the safety and welfare of our members at the forefront.
Why did we make this decision now?
- Initially we set a deadline of May 31. This date was based on the original terms of our contract being in the final phase of the cancellation clause and our financial obligation would have remained the same until that time. However because of the pandemic and a transfer of ownership of the hotel, we were given the opportunity to cancel the event without a penalty. This decision saved over $100,000 of association money. As a Board we felt it was our fiduciary responsibility to make the decision sooner rather than later.
- We are also well aware that many of our members are facing financial hardship at this time.
- Many employers have restricted all travel for their employees, as well as instilled budget cuts and freezes.
- All of our states are currently under stay at home quarantines. The State of Hawaii has a 14 day quarantine on any visitors which requires them to stay in their place of lodging for 14 days. Public health experts indicate those restrictions will be relaxed slowly.
- Additionally, the current status of the resort and meeting spaces, due to state wide restriction, further suggests that holding a meeting of our size in July seems less probable as all other large meetings on property have tentatively been rescheduled for September 1, 2020 or later.
What if I have already made hotel reservations and/or registered for the meeting?
- If you made a room reservation within the FWATA room block, it will be cancelled automatically, you will not have to do anything. There will be no charge.
- If you registered for the meeting, you will receive a full refund. The refund will be issued directly to your online method of payment. Please allow up to 10 business days for processing. If you paid by check, please contact Ginger Ehrke.
- If individuals wish to visit during that time; please contact Sara Lebrun-Scott and she will re-book you manually at the rate for 2020.
Although nothing can replace the comradery and excitement we all experience of an in person meeting, we are starting discussions regarding alternative options to provide CEUs to our members at both the state and district levels. Please stay tuned for further information regarding this.
We will still be awarding research grants and student scholarships. We will create an opportunity to share and honor the accomplishments of our members.
The Managing Board would like to thank the FWATA AMCS Committee for their tireless work throughout the year. They had put together an outstanding educational program as well as an amazing experience for both our members and guests from around the country who planned to attend. We would also like to thank you, the FWATA members, for your patience and support through these difficult times. We will get through this together! We look forward to the future when we have the opportunity to gather and celebrate with our FWATA ῾ohana once again.
Alternative options to provide CEU options to our members at both the state and district levels are being examined. Please stay tuned for more information.
If you registered for the meeting, you will receive a full refund. The refund will be issued directly to your online method of payment. Please allow up to 10 business days for processing as of April 22, 2020. If you paid by check, please contact Ginger Ehrke.
Thank you for your 2020 submissions. Please stay tuned for more information.
The FWATA (District 8) Research and Grants Committee invites abstract submissions for the Free Communications program. We are sponsoring Poster Presentation awards (with cash prizes for students!) and our Clinical Outcome Based Research Award (cash prize of $500).
Please contact the FWATA R&G Committee Chair with any questions:
Melissa Montgomery PhD, ATC
Chair, FWATA Research and Grants Committee
California State University, Fullerton
2020 FWATA Paul Schechter Memorial Scholarship Golf Tournament has been cancelled.
For more information please contact Dennis Goebel.
If you made a room reservation within the FWATA room block, it will be cancelled automatically, you will not have to do anything. There will be no charge.
If individuals wish to visit during that time; please contact Sara Lebrun-Scott at Sara.Lebrun-Scott@sheraton.com and she will re-book you manually at the rate for 2020.
Thank you for your interest in presenting at the 2021 FWATA Annual Meeting & Clinical Symposium. The meeting is scheduled for April 15-18, 2021 at the Westgate Las Vegas Resort and Casino in Las Vegas, NV!
The proposal submission period for the 2021 Annual Meeting and Clinical Symposium will open July 1, 2020 and remain open until September 1, 2020. Guidelines and additional information will be posted prior to opening.
FWATA Non-Discriminatory Practices
The Far West Athletic Trainers’ Association (FWATA) ensures that no individual should be denied participation in CE programs offered by BOC Approved Providers on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, military status, sexual orientation or age. FWATA ensures that sole credentialed Athletic Trainers can attend FWATA Education Programs.
- Programs are available and accessible to all appropriate participants
- No unlawful discrimination is associated with programming or related programs
*Subject to change
Please stay tuned for more information in 2021. Annual events include:
FWATA Student Scholarship Golf Tournament
Research and Grants Committee Poster Presentations
FWATA Awards Dinner
Job & Message Board
More information will be posted when registration begins
2021 – April 15-18 at the Westgate Las Vegas Resort and Casino
2022 – April 28 – May 1 at the Town and Country Resort – San Diego
Please note that the provider numbers vary by category and/or individual sessions (i.e. EBP sessions have different provider numbers that are unique to each session) when reporting the CEUs you earned from FWATA Annual Meetings and Clinical Symposiums. The provider numbers is located towards the bottom of the CEU certificate of attendance.
For Category A CEUs, enter “Annual Meeting and Clinical Symposium” for Activity Ttile. For EBP CEUs, enter the title to the course you attended. Course titles are ocated toward the top of the EBP CEU Certificate of attendance. Listed below is the maxium number of CEUs that were available for each category, for each meeting. Registered attendees are responsible for tracking the actual number of CEU hours that they earned by attending various sessions.
April 25-28, 2019
2019 Annual Meeting and Clinical Symposium
Town and Country Resort
San Diego, CA
12 Category A CEUs; 6 EBP CEUs
April 26-29, 2018
2018 Annual Meeting and Clinical Symposium
Westgate Resort and Casino Las Vegas
Las Vegas, Nevada
17 Category A CEUs; 6 EBP CEUs
April 27-30, 2017
2017 Annual Meeting and Clinical Symposium
Westgate Resort and Casino Las Vegas
Las Vegas, Nevada
12 Category A CEUs; 5 EBP CEUs
July 12-16, 2016
2016 Annual Meeting and Clinical Symposium
Sheraton Kona Resort and Spa at Keauhou
15 Category A CEUs and 5 EBP CEUs
**Important Note: If you attended the last EBP session (Speaker: Lori A. Michener, PhD, Pt, ATC, SCS, FAPTA), it is only approved for a maximum of 1.0 EBP CEU, not two. Please make sure to enter the correct number of CEUs to avoid an audit**
April 17-19, 2015
2015 Annual Meeting and Clinical Symposium
Town and Country Resort and Spa
San Diego, California
12 Category A CEUs and 5 EBP CEUs
April 11-13, 2014
2014 Annual Meeting and Clinical Symposium
Las Vegas Hotel
Las Vegas, Nevada
16 Category A CEUs
Reporting CE to the BOC:
ATs must complete a predetermined number of continuing education units (CEUs) during the certification maintenance period. The current period ends December 31, 2021. (11:59pm CT). Please use the following link to the BOC Website for more information about maintaining and reporting CEUs: New Link
Updated information can be found here as it becomes available and via FWATA membership email updates. For specific questions feel free to contact:
Cal Poly Pomona
University of San Diego
Leroy Heu ATC
UC Santa Barbara
MPT, OCS, ATC, CHT
Orthopaedic Specialty Institute
Palm Springs, CA
Ginger Lei Ehrke
Desert Oasis High School
Cal Poly SLO